MEDIA: Police carry the remains of the suspected bomber in Bungoma on Tuesday 31st March, 2020. PHOTO/SIMIYU WAKAJUANESS
Bungoma Bombing: Armed Suspect Finally Gunned Down by Police in Dramatic Exchange
The main suspect in yesterday’s bombing of a car in Bungoma town has been gunned down by the police.
The ex-GSU officer was shot dead by the police when he reportedly defied a police order to stop, and instead, removed a pistol to fire at the officers.
The incident, which occurred at 6.30pm today Tuesday 31st, March, 2020, could be a relieve to the residents after yesterday’s bombing.
Bungoma Police Commander Musyoki Mutungi who confirmed the incidence, said the police had been trailing him since the bombing incident that had occurred in less than 24 hours.
“There was a robbery in Namachanja estate in Bungoma where a suspect robbed an Asian family and bomb their car using a hand-grenade. The victim family managed to identify him with the photos we had. Unfortunately, he escaped before we could reach the scene,” said the Commander.
“Our officers started trailing him and when they caught up with him in front of the Kenya Power officers, he resisted by trying to fire at the police who then finished him up.”
The police recovered a pistol, his ID card, NHIF cards and a cigarette lighter from the scene.
According to the recovered documents, the suspect is a trained GSU officer and had reportedly been posted in Costal Kenya.
It was not clear if he was still working with the government or had walked away from the suspect.
The body has been taken to the Bungoma County Referral Mortuary.
Mr. Mutungi has promised maximum security for the residents of Bungoma, vowing that they will use all means to restore order in the County.